[Help-glpk] Condensing a sparse matrix by creating a subset of parameter

From: Abhishek Shivakumar
Subject: [Help-glpk] Condensing a sparse matrix by creating a subset of parameter data
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:18:00 +0000

Hi,

I have an lp model that produces an extremely sparse constraint matrix. I would like to reduce the number of non-zero entries in this matrix (make the matrix more dense). The main cause of this sparse-ness is the relation between two parameters. They can be seen as ‘arcs’ and ‘nodes: not all nodes have arcs between them. Is there a way to create a subset of parameter data from the sets ‘arcs’ and ‘nodes’ based on whether they are connected? I would then be able to apply constraints only for this subset. In other languages (such as python) such an operation is possible through nested conditional statements. Is there a similar/equivalent approach in glpk/GNU mathprog?

Thanks!

Abhishek