[Help-glpk] [Fwd: Interface for exact solutions]

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Interface for exact solutions]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:35:33 +0300

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Nico Del Piano <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Interface for exact solutions
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 08:44:39 -0300

Hi all,

I'm using the exact simplex solver provided by glpk to compute exact
solutions from a project written in Java (using the Java bindings
java-libglpk) and I haven't found a way to retrieve those exact
values: I'm getting double precision solutions.

To overcome this, I defined a not-so-pretty interface to store these
exact values (I provided two ways to do this, both for rational
precision and fixed precision) here [1]. Basically, I just copied the
`glp_smcp` structure and added some parameters to properly store the
solutions in the desired precision. I also added two solvers
`glp_exact_sol` (for rationals) and `glp_fixed_sol` (for user-defined
precision). For example, if we use the `glp_fixed_sol` solver, we can
specify in the structure the precision we want, and store there the
solutions, in order to get those values later on.

Obviously, this doesn't seem to be the best approach, so the purpose
of this email is to discuss how to improve this interface, or, even
better, how to add this feature in glpk. Furthermore, if you think
this can be done in glpk and I'm just ignoring it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nico.

[1]: https://github.com/nicodelpiano/glpk/tree/fixed_precision