Re: Any development going on using emacs lisp?

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: Any development going on using emacs lisp?
Date: 10 Nov 2000 10:30:05 -0600

On 12 Heshvan 5761, Sachin Shenoy wrote:

> I was just curious to know whether if any development
> work was going on using emacs lisp. If so is it open to
> all, if possible can I contribute?

Development of what?  There is a lot of software written using Emacs
Lisp, and much of it continues to be actively developed.  We have
several email clients, a couple of newsreaders, a few games, a SQL
client, an AIM client, an IRC client, a spreadsheet, and a number of
development environments for other languages, ranging from Java to TeX.
The nature of Emacs Lisp is such that the source is open to everyone
(you can't deliver byte-compiled binaries that reliably work on both
major forks of Emacs these days), and most software written in Emacs
Lisp is GPL'd, inviting your own usage and hacking.  You'll have to talk
to individuals who maintain packages about whether your contributions
would be welcome.

You should probably look at the following links, and see if there's
something in which you're interested:

http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/emacs-lisp/

http://godzilla.act.oda.fr/emacslisp/

Also, a lot has been posted to the newsgroup gnu.emacs.sources, and
currently the GNU mailing list that is supposed to be bidirectionally
connected to that group, isn't, so you'll have to use a newsreader or
Deja.com to access that.  (Same goes for this list and gnu.emacs.help.)

To contribute to Emacs itself, you can download the latest release
version of Emacs from gnu.org and contribute via the newsgroup
gnu.emacs.bug.

Does this answer your question?  Or did I misunderstand?
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to an Emacs Very Frequently Asked Question:

 -- Jordan Pollock,
    interviewed at http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/04/11/0722227