RE: Displaying tabs

From: Deephanphongs, David
Subject: RE: Displaying tabs
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:51:25 -0500

Whoops - I interpreted his request in exactly the wrong way.

Again, multiple ways to do it:
Easy way - put this is .emacs file:

(defun eight_spaces ()
        (interactive)
        (insert "        ")
)

(global-set-key '[tab] 'eight_spaces)

You may have to add
(local-set-key '[tab] 'eight_spaces)
to your c-mode-hook.

Note that this will insert eight spaces, not a TAB character..

The harder way is to make sure that all of the indentations
in c-mode use full tabs:

Make sure you are in c-mode (hit "Ctrl-H m" to view the current
mode info).
ESC x set-variable
c-basic-offset
8

(I think this defaults to 8, actually, so you may not have to do it.)

Then look at the help for c-offsets-alist:
Ctrl-h v c-offsets-alist

At the bottom of the help, there should be a list of all of the current
values:

((string . c-lineup-dont-change)
 (c . c-lineup-C-comments)
 (defun-open . 0)
 (defun-close . 0)
 (defun-block-intro . +)
 (class-open . 0)
 (class-close . 0)
 (inline-open . 0)
 (inline-close . 0)

The first element is the name, the second is the offset.
For every entry that does not have either a "0" or a "+" as an offset,
put (c-set-offset 'name '+) or (c-set-offset 'name '0) - depending on
whether
you want it to tab or not - into your c-mode-hook.

(Mind you, I've seen Tim's latest response, and, frankly, I'm more confused
than ever, now - It does what you want, but it doesn't?  You may be better
off
with the easy option..)

Dave