Re: Two questions

From: Frank Winkler @home
Subject: Re: Two questions
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 21:04:25 +0200 (CEST)

On 11 Sep 2002 16:01:24 GMT, kgold wrote:

 >Most experts say that hilit19 is obsolete.
 >
 >My understanding is that there are standard names, like
 >font-lock-comment-face, which are shared by all modes.  If you look at
 >cperl-mode.el, you will see the faces used there.  The default values
 >are defined in font-lock.el.

You're right. But why doesn't "perl-mode" force "font-lock-mode"? OTOH it
does on some other installations I use, emacs and xemacs.
What's the common/best wy to achieve this for all programming modes? I saw a
hint in "font-lock-mode" which is in fact a list of modes implying it - that
might be easier since I don't have to edit all modes. Or should I do it in
.emacs? And the same question for the text modes: what's the best way to
force "auto-fill-mode" or even "maniac-mode" ;) for text, i.e.
2fundamental-mode"?

Sorry to bother you - I've been a happy emacs user for many years but now
it's time to get in too deep :) ... and to get rid of all the manual
actions.

TIA

Frank Winkler                                                frank@consol.de
ConSol GmbH
Franziskanerstr. 38                                   Voice +49 89 45841.180
81669 Munich - Germany                                  Fax +49 89 45841.199