how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

  in my quest to now learn elisp, i wanted to read "programming in
emacs lisp (2nd ed.)", using the info form of that doc.  i've already
figured out that, when i'm in regular emacs, i can open up an info
document with "C-h i" and, conveniently, if there are elisp expressions,
i can execute them with "C-x C-e".

  however, the info form of the document i want to read, while it is
downloadable from www.fsf.org, is not part of the installed info
library on my latest version of red hat.

  so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
info file that i've downloaded from the net?  (short of installing
it, that is; i want to be able to do this to arbitrary info files
that i might download from arbitrary locations.)

  am i making any sense here?

rday