Re: ChangeLog and Version Control

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: ChangeLog and Version Control
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:29:29 +0200

Aman S Kohli <akohli@iona.com> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> rmolen@socal.rr.com (Richard V. Molen) writes:
>>
>> I think this is not the default behavior.  The default behavior is
>> that the ChangeLog file is not changed after doing C-c C-c.
>>
>> So something in your config must be doing it.
>
> vc provides a function to use as part of the checkin hook.  I got this from
>
> <URL
> http://www.ece.utexas.edu/projects/courses/spring_02/ee379k/bow-20020213/HACKING>
>
>      (add-hook 'vc-checkin-hook 'vc-checkin-add-log)
>      ;;; Insert the file's new log entries in ChangeLog.
>      (defun vc-checkin-add-log ()
>        (let ((log (find-change-log)))
>          (and log
>        (y-or-n-p (format "Update %s for %s changes? "
>                          (file-relative-name log)
>                          (file-relative-name buffer-file-name)))
>        (vc-comment-to-change-log nil log))))

Aha.  So one idea would be to redefine this function to do nothing
for ChangeLog files.

Another idea would be to do it the other way round: with C-x 4 a,
make some ChangeLog entries.  Then use PCL-CVS which parses the
ChangeLog file and offers those entries as commit entries.

I like this approach because C-x 4 a is so smart: based on the
position of the cursor, it already finds the right function name (or
section name, for LaTeX files).  Nifty.  (C-x 4 a also works in diff
buffers -- super-nifty.)

kai