Re: usability issue

From: Tuomo Takkula
Subject: Re: usability issue
Date: 07 Jan 2003 21:00:53 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Tuomo Takkula <tuomo@quirm.cs.chalmers.se> writes:
>
> > The department I am working on just switched emacs from 20.xx?? to
> > 21.2.1, with the new cool look. However, the keystrokes <Home> and
> > <End> changed their meaning as well, from 'go-to-beginning/end-of
> > document' to 'goto-begin/end-of line', respectively. So, I thought,
> > lets make an usability test and try to change that back.
>
> Why?  Just use C-home and C-end.  You don't need them that often, eh?

That has to do with my age. I am used to Home and End jumping up and
down, and I am not used to software telling me what I am supposed to,
as in 'der Schwanz hat nicht mit dem Hund zu wedeln' and such ;-)

> > - _is_ there a way to get to the old behaviour of <Home> and <End> via
> > custimization groups, and if so, where?
>
> Unlikely.  Those are keystrokes.  Just use
>
> (global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-buffer)
> (global-set-key [end] 'end-of-buffer)
>
> in your .emacs file.  That's all.

Thanks. Copied. Cool - works fine!

> But why you should want it when those functions are available on
> C-home and C-end escapes me.

I was used to the old behaviour and I might switch to the new if I see
any advantage in the new behaviour. Right now, I just feel annoyed,
for no benefit, so I stick to the old. That's reasonable (in my age,
y'know...)

        Cheers
        Tuomo

PS. Btw, thanks for the great work on PreviewLateX, and the advice you
give in c.t.t in general

--
Chalmers University of Technology
Computing Science