Re: NON-trivial regular expression problem (could not find on google)

From: Peter J. Acklam
Subject: Re: NON-trivial regular expression problem (could not find on google)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:17:20 +0100

democrat@india.com (Instant Democracy) wrote:

> The task is to eliminate patterns such as
>     DIRNAME/../
> from the path because they are redundant.

Are they really?  If DIRNAME is a symlink, then there is no
guarantee that these two point to the same place:

   foo/bar/..
   foo

You *must* ensure that DIRNAME is not a symlink before you
simplify the pathnames like this.

Peter

--
I wish dialog boxes had a butten saying "Whatever".  I hate being
forced to answer "Yes" or "No" to a question I have no opinion on