Re: Gnus - automatically expiring articles

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Gnus - automatically expiring articles
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:41:56 -0000

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:27:41 +0100, Nicolas Neuss <lastname@kit.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think I'm using Gnus quite wrong, because I cannot get it to
> auto-expire old articles (which I have read or marked as read with using
> 'd' in the summary buffer) from mailing lists.  For hunting down the
> problem, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Can I find out somehow if the list (e.g. nnml+private:mail.maxima) is
>    correctly recognized as auto-expirable?
>
> 2. I observe that a mail which I mark with 'd' is marked by 'r' (but not
>    automatically by 'E' as expired).  When I visit the buffer later I
>    see it marked with 'O'.  Is this a sign of a bad setup?

Articles are marked as expirable automatically if the group has the
'auto-expire' property set to t.  You can set it for a group by typing
'G p' over the name of the group in the *Group* buffer and then adding
this property to the parameter list of the group:

    (auto-expire . t)

By default groups have no properties, so you will see 'nil' as their
property list:

    nil

You can replace this with a list that contains only a cons cell with
auto-expire:

    ((auto-expire . t))

You can enable multiple group properties, e.g.:

    ((auto-expire . t)
     (posting-style (from "keramida@freebsd.org (Giorgos Keramidas)")))