Re: Does gnu emacs have the equivalent of Xemacs mouse-track-insert

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Does gnu emacs have the equivalent of Xemacs mouse-track-insert
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:17 -0000

harven <harven@free.fr> writes:

>>> 2. On my linux host, somehow (keyboard shortcut settings?), so the M-
>>> leftclick selects the window that I am working on, so when sliding,
>>> the window is getting moved instead of selcting the text on which I
>>> slide the mouse.
>>
>> It's working OK here (i.e.  M-click does not change the window). What
>> version of emacs are you using?
>>
>>> 3. So I tested with ESC-leftclick and this partially works when emacs
>>> is invoked with -nw, but it does not work in the window based.
>> (...)
>>
>> Strange. Sorry, no idea what's  wrong with your installment. At least
>> I can  tell you mine  seems to be  working correctly, so try  to play
>> around with your settings.
>
> There is nothing wrong with his installation. M-leftclick is intercepted
> by his window manager. This is a standard shortcut in metacity for moving a
> window. This can be disabled with the gconf-editor, in apps>metacity>general
> item mouse_button_modifier.

Or just use system -> preferences -> keyboard shortcuts

There are a number of 'default' gnome keyboard shortcuts I get rid of
because they either interfere or use valuable mappings I like to use for
emacs, such as alt-tab, some of the function keys and a few others.
Using the GUI interface, its quite easy to replace any WM shortcuts you
want to keep with some of the rarely used keys that are less likely to
interfere with emacs, such as super/hyper (those 'extra' keys usually
between Ctl and Alt, often with a windows logo etc).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au