Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:45:18 -0000

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <merciadriluca@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
>>> load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
>>> files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
>>> really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
>>> instructions?
>> I do not remember, but I think that these info were put somewhere in a
>> README! I found them weird, but executed!
>
> Any idea where you found that?
No. Don't remember precisely, but it was in the AUCTeX tarball!

>> But, anyway, even without these lines, the Gnus problem still arises,
>> where it had never happened before.
>
> I doubt it is related to AUCTeX.
Same for me, but what could it be linked to, if this is not AUCTeX? Everything
was pretty fine, and now, sending won't work anymore. It looks like C-c C-c is
bound to another action, as there is no reason for Gnus to `search for #.'

>>> I don't think that is the case. You could try
>>>
>>> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>>>
>>> in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
>>> files.
>> Here is the output:
>> ==
>> /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/
>> site-lisp/debian-startup
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/
>> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/
>> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/
>> emacs/22.2/lisp/language/thai-word
>>
>> 4 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
>> ==
>> 'Seems not to have messed anything, doesn't it?
>
> That's a Debian installation.  They are messed up by default.  You might
> want to check the difference in those shadowings and try guessing
> whether they could have an influence.
But these lines were the same before the installation of AUCTeX... Strange!

> However, they are not related to AUCTeX installations.
Ok. Nice for me, in some sense.
>  If AUCTeX made
> any changes, they are likely to site-init.el or site-start.el in some
> place.  But I'd be surprised.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --