Re: site-start.el: inhibit-startup-screen?

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: Re: site-start.el: inhibit-startup-screen?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:51:48 +0200

On 21.05.2010, at 03:44, Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Stefan Vollmar wrote:
>> We are trying to convince some MS Windows users at our institute to
>> use Emacs (for now, just for a specific purpose). These users have
>> certain expectations (some of them actually do make sense) and one of
>> them is that they can drop a file on the Emacs icon shortcut and that
>> file is then opened with Emacs, another is that when they open Emacs
>> with a double-click it should present an "untitled" buffer
>> ready-for-input.
>> Unless a user manually disables the splashscreen, neither of these
>> requirements works.
>
> Why not distribute a 1-line .emacs to each user's PC?

I actually considered something like this and it would be a good solution for
homogeneous environments where every user has his or her own centrally managed
desktop machine. However, we also use terminal servers where user profiles are
generated only when and if users log into that system. Even more difficult,
there are Windows laptops where we do not have full control over the
installation - a case in which you want to keep things as simple as possible.

My goal is to give people a gentle exposure to Emacs in the (possibly naive)
hope that we can build on a good first impression which might spark some
further interest later.

Warm regards,
Stefan
--