Re: auto-saving files

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: auto-saving files
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:07:52 +0200

Andrea Crotti writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>

>> I guess you mean the .newsrc-dribble file? I'm using this:
>>
>> (add-hook 'gnus-started-hook
>>        (lambda ()
>>          (when (buffer-live-p gnus-dribble-buffer)
>>            (with-current-buffer gnus-dribble-buffer
>>              (setq buffer-save-without-query t)))))
>>
>> This will get .newsrc-dribble automatically saved by
>> save-some-buffers. The other newsrc-files are usually not kept open
>> during a Gnus session.
>>

> Ok great I think it's more then enough :)
> But why by the way gnus must keep a buffer open for it's own job?

The dribble file is used to reconstruct Gnus' state in case Emacs/Gnus
crashes or quits in an unclean way. For this to work the dribble file
must be kept open so that it gets auto-saved.

You can set gnus-use-dribble-file to 'nil', but then you will lose your
current state in case of a crash, so I'd rather not do that.

-David