SMTP mail fail

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: SMTP mail fail
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:15:57 +1200

Hello,

I *really* want to use Emacs as my mail reader, but problems with SMTP have
prevented me from doing so.  I can get Emacs to send mail via my ISP's SMTP
server, but... well, Emacs says all went well, but I see nothing on the other
end.  I've had this same problem with Cone, so I think it's my ISP's
weirdness.  My ISP has a strange setup: my email address is
aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz, but that's also my username, and their servers are
all on the rurallink.co.nz domain name.  Thunderbird and other graphical
mail-readers use my ISP's SMTP server just fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Here is the SMTP-related contents of my .emacs file...

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; For `mail'
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; For message/Gnus

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.rurallink.co.nz") ;; Set before
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "no8wireless.co.nz") ;; Also tried with nil and
"rurallink.co.nz"

(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("smtp.rurallink.co.nz" 25 nil nil)))

(setq starttls-use-gnutls t