Re: vc-dir and Bazaar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc-dir and Bazaar
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:21:49 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:56:56 +0200
>
> > IOW, before you can meaningfully use vc-dir, you need to do something
> > worthy of it ;-)  E.g., modify some file.
>
> Ok.  So, since my Emacs trunk tree is a mirror of the Savannah trunk and
> I only update it, I can't use vc-dir to do this.  Moreover, I can't use
> it to merge the updated files from the trunk to my quickfixes branch.

Right.  That's what the "merge-news is not implemented part" is about.

> But once I have merged them from the command line, I can see them vc-dir
> (I just did this and do see them).  So now I should be able to commit
> the merged files, right?

Yes.

> I type `M' to mark all the files, then `v', then a log buffer pops,
> I write "Merge from trunk", type `C-c C-c' and get:
>
> "bzr: ERROR: Selected-file commit of merges is not supported yet: files
> ChangeLog, configure, configure.in, lisp/ChangeLog, lisp/play/tetris.el,
> lisp/progmodes/ps-mode.el, src/ChangeLog, src/alloc.c, src/font.c,
> src/frame.c, src/ralloc.c, src/w32menu.c"
>
> Does that mean I can only commit single files?

Yes, but more importantly, you can commit _all_ of the pending merges
if you just don't mark any files.  That's what you should do most of
the time anyway, this being a changeset-based VCS, right?

> I think the manual should document these limitations.

The manual doesn't like to mention limitations of a temporary nature,
because they are expected to be solved in some future release.  The
manual only mentions limitations that cannot be lifted at all or
without a major programming effort.