Re: TAGS for multiply project.

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: TAGS for multiply project.
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:04:43 +0300

On 2010-07-24 11:48, Štěpán Němec wrote:
Andrea Crotti<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>   writes:

How can a go back after "C-c , J"  (semantic-complete-jump)
like "M-*" (pop-tag-mark) for TAGS?

Good question, I never asked myself since C-x b RET gets me back to the
original file, but it would be nice to have something like that.
More nice would be open the buffer in a different window because
normally that's what I want...

I never used Semantic, but one would expect that `pop-global-mark' (C-x
C-SPC by default) will do what you want.

Interesting command, but it seems not working as 'pop-tag-mark'.

For example I visit .el file mark position, visit .cxx
file, go to definition of local function by "C-c , j"
and try go back by "C-x C-SPC". Sadly switched to .el buffer.

The tags file used is set based on project hierarchy if I understand you
properly.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EtagsTable

Many thanks to Richard Riley.

With

  (require 'etags-table)
  (setq etags-table-search-up-depth 1)

Emacs automatically search for TAGS file starting
from current directory and go up until found.

This allow use TAGS for multiply project
by building TAGS file on the root of each project.

And performance is good (need no more than second time wait
when go to definition).

'semantic' I also will be use for 'global-semantic-idle-summary-mode'
but I don't want replace TAGS with it
as I know how TAGS works and with etags/ctags I can
easy parse new file type based on regexp
(no need for elisp programming).

'etags-table.el' have only 100 line of elist.
Why do not include it into official Emacs?

Automatic TAGS search up depth very useful feature.

--
Best regards!