RE: A "smaller" dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: A "smaller" dired
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:40:16 -0700

> By the way, interesting the auto-resizing of windows, how do you do it
> more or less?

I auto-resize Emacs frames (window-mgr windows), not Emacs windows.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Shrink-Wrapping_Frames

> But can I ask why you want a different frame for every buffer?
> Were you not satisfied by windows management in only one buffer?
> Maybe the window manager is smarter? (mm on windows it would
> be strange)

I don't understand some of those questions (dunno what mm is etc.).

I use Emacs frames the way most people use Emacs windows.

I do often reuse frames for different buffers (I don't dedicate all windows as
some people do - e.g. Stefan Monnier).  And I do sometimes (not often) split a
window, using more than one in a frame.

Using Emacs windows instead of frames is essentially like using a tiling window
manager.  I prefer separate frames that I can place anywhere and that I can fit
to their buffers so I don't waste screen real estate.

I have key bindings for moving frames about and resizing frames.

I also use thumbnail frames for iconifying.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FisheyeWithThumbs

These are like desktop icons, but they are fully functioning (though tiny)
frames.  Instead of just names as icons, stacked in the Windows taskbar, the
icons I use are placed on the desktop (in an ordered way, by default), and I can
see not only the buffer names but the buffer contents.  And I can use that
content even though it is tiny.  It's a great way to save real estate and yet
see multiple buffers in an overall way, monitor the accumulating output of a
process, etc.

The number of frames that I want iconified corresponds well with the amount of
desktop real estate I use for thumbnail frames.  At any time I of course have
many additional buffers open that are not visible in any frame (thumbnail or
otherwise).  And I can also iconify a frame normally (different keystroke), but
I rarely do that.