Re: Buffers and frames

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Buffers and frames
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:12:58 -0400

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> wrote:
> Maybe I'm peculiar, but what I would like to do is kind of "lock" some
> buffers to frames (or maybe I mean the opposite, I'm not sure). That is,
> I would like to only be offered certain buffers when list-buffers is run
> in a certain frame. Possible?
>
> For example, I want to have gnus and only gnus in one frame, my php
> editing buffers (and only...) in another frame, and so on.
>
> I'm wondering if I could somehow use ido to do this (ido-ignore-buffers)
> but it looks like that might be rather long winded. Ideally I would
> simply like buffers opened in one frame to only be visible in that one
> frame (perhaps with a way of "forcing" all buffers to be visible on a
> case by case basis).

I won't even attempt to approach this from an elisp perspective but
have you considered just launching multiple emacs instances, perhaps
with different default frame names, to house the different purposes
you're using it for? It's almost like you're using emacs as an OS at
this point and launching your PHP IDE and your Mail Reader, etc.

Just a thought. Obviously, it's not ideal.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/