File won't open in a new buffer

From: Kristian Alsen
Subject: File won't open in a new buffer
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:21:13 +0200

Hey,

I have GNU emacs version 21.3.1 running on sparc-sun-solaris 2.9.

The problem I have is when I try to open a file with emacs from a terminal, emacs will start but only the "message" and "scratch" buffers are opened and not any buffer for the file itself.

From a unix terminal I type:

 emacs <filename> &

This has worked correctly before but after I did some editing in the .emacs file this no longer works.

I have removed all changes in .emacs file but issue is still there.

I have tried to remove all  files related to emacs from my home directory and then add the original files, which used to work.

I am able to open files within emacs correctly. It is only when starting emacs with a filename from the terminal where there is an issue.

Hope you guys can help me out.

It is a bit frustrating to say the least!

Best regards

Kristian