Re: emacs on a text console - please help me overcome the shock

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: emacs on a text console - please help me overcome the shock
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:56:38 +0200

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM,  <rdiezmail-emacs@yahoo.de> wrote:

> The console mode has been a shock. There is no mouse at all. I cannot
> navigate the menus as usual, menu-bar-open is weird and unfriendly.
> But, worst of all, some key combinations do not work well.

You can try `xterm-mouse-mode'

> I don't want to use the ESC key as a prefix for anything, and that is
> normally fine under X Windows. I mean, most of the time, if I press
> ESC, it just makes the current panel full screen, or it aborts what
> I'm doing. However, in the console I have to press ESC three times.
> How can I make ESC react at the first press?

I believe you can use C-g to quit even on the console.

If none of these suit you, there is always tramp. It will let you edit
the remote files form your local GUI instance of emacs. URLs like the
one below should work:

/ssh::remoteuser@remotehost:/path/to/file

To edit files as root, you can use tramp twice, once to login to the
remote machine as a regular user then login as root from the remote
machine. Check out the tramp info manual for details.

> Many thanks in advance,
>  R. Diez

GL

--