Re: Cannot print with emacs

From: Harald Weis
Subject: Re: Cannot print with emacs
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 23:21:34 +0200

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:22:34PM +0200, Rasmus wrote:
> Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr> writes:
>
> > I see. I never used that for my Lexmark T520 Duplex Laser Printer.
> > I always provide the LEXT520.PPD file which I've downloaded many years
> > ago from a Lexmark site.
>
> I think I have used both a PPD provided by Lexmark and a generic Post
> Script driver.
>
> > No, something is wrong with my present emacs on several machines.
> > As I cannot find out I better give up. I suppose it will work the next
> > time when I reinstall _all_ ports.
>
> Try to start Emacs without loading config files (emacs -q). If the
> problem persists it is probably not Emacs-centric but related to your
> print server (CUPS). If it persists bisec your config file(s).

Sorry, Rasmus, for this long pause.
I was sort of far away from keyboard for a while.

The command `M-x print-buffer' (which I never used before, I must
apologize) does work fine with or without the config file.
In a sense, Peter's out-of-the-box remark is correct provided that lpr
is symlinked to /usr/local/bin/lpr.
That means that the CUPS print server is alright.

It's the Printing package (2 lines in .emacs without any customization)
which does not work.
It produces a Postscript file and puts the printer in a "900 Service
RIP Software" error state (the printer must be restarted).
Running ``lpr <the said Postscript file>'' has exactly the same effect.
The bug seems to be in the generated Postscript file.
Please note that the Postscript Preview is perfect!

Needless to say that the printer does work fine after restart which is
easily checked with the command ``a2ps foo.txt | lpr''.

Cheers,
Harald