Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: S Boucher
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 10:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

Yes

> * Are you opposed to this change?
>
> * How strongly do you feel about the matter?

It's a good idea to align with common practices whenever possible.

In this case, hackers will get used to this rapidly.  They'll complain just
'cause that's what hackers do, but in the end will move on to more important
things than complain about a mostly harmless change in Emacs' UI.

> We don't want to just "count votes" -- we want to understand
> how this affects users.  So if you care about the issue,
> please tell us how the change affects your editing.
>
> * What are the cases where you find it helps?
>
> * What are the cases where you find it hurts?
>
> * What is your level of Emacs experience?

Since emacs 18.59

> A further change in the same area has been suggested: when there is an
> active region, a self-inserting character would delete the region
> before the character is inserted by default.
>
> * What would you think of this further change?

Align with the widely accepted behavior.  Do it. It's really a minor behavior
change.

If Emacs had done it this way from the get go, people would not lobby to go to
what is standard right now in Emacs.  So, we shouldn't catter to those who want
the current behavior to remain.