Re: Gnus: Forwarding mails: include attachments, blank To:, point positi

From: Johnny
Subject: Re: Gnus: Forwarding mails: include attachments, blank To:, point position?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:35:46 +0000

> Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:
>
>> I figured out that with "F" (or "f") I can forward an email.
>
> `F' and `f' don't forward, they follow up.  Forwarding is `C-c C-f'.

I have always used 'S-w' or 'S-W' for replying [1], but 'f' and 'F' seems to be
identical. The former is under 'mail commands' [2] and the latter under
'post commands' [3] in the documentation. As I do not use usenet groups
for other than reading, I haven't bothered about learning the subtleties
of posting, but as both mail and news are treated the same in gnus, *why
are there different commands available for mail and news*?

EDIT:

Some further reading gives that Message can use different functions for
replying and posting. The defaults are nil, so presumably this implies
identical behaviour for mailing and posting?

,----[ C-h v message-followup-to-function RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v message-reply-to-function RET ]
| message-reply-to-function is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, function that should return a list of headers.
| This function should pick out addresses from the To, Cc, and From headers
| and respond with new To and Cc headers.
`----

I also found the following note on the 'mail-followup-to' header useful
as an introduction (for anyone else who have not bothered about this)
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt

Footnotes:
[1]  (info "(message)Wide Reply")
[2]  (info "(gnus)Summary Mail Commands")
[3]  (info "(gnus)Summary Post Commands")

--
Johnny