Re: local info files and top info directory

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: local info files and top info directory
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 00:21:45 +0800

On Tue, Jan 03 2012, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:34:35 +0800
>>
>> > In your ~/.emacs.d/info directory, there should be a file named `dir'
>> > or `DIR'.  Its contents, and only its contents, are added to the main
>> > Info directory when Emacs composes it.  Emacs does not look at the
>> > info files themselves, just in the DIR files it finds in every
>> > directory that is in Info-default-directory-list.
>>
>> Nope, there's nothing in there but the symlinked info files. Info is
>> definitely able to find them, though, so it doesn't seem like this is
>> the main problem.
>
> Yes, it _is_ the main problem: since there was no DIR file there,
> Emacs didn't have any place to collect the top-level menu entries
> from, for those files whose symlinks you had in ~/.emacs.d/info.
>
> Creating that DIR file solved the issue.

Got it, thanks. I also realized that, in a long-ago customization, I'd
added the gnus and org documentation directories to
Info-additional-directory-list, which apparently circumvents the need
for a DIR file (?); anyway, that's that mystery solved.

Thanks again,

GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.8)
 of 2011-12-29 on pellet