Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"

From: Michael Markert
Subject: Re: "C-h k" reports "<keybinding> is undefined"
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 20:30:15 +0100

On  4 Jan 2012, York Zhao wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have noticed this problem for awhile that for some of the key
> bindings "C-h k" shows "<key binding> is undefined". For example, when
> I type "C-h k M-q", it says "M-q is undefined", but I really did bind
> it to my own function and my function was working because If I set
> breakpoint in the function where "M-q" was being bound to and press
> "M-q" I was able to get into the function. The key bindings not being
> shown by "C-h k" is not limited to "M-q" but a bunch of others as
> well. However, there are also a number of other key bindings that can
> be reported by "C-h k". I have no idea why this is happening. Can
> somebody tell me with this?

Hi York,

I assume you're still using Evil.

It's (unfortunately) a long standing bug[1] that affects mostly
(exclusively?) the M-* bindings in non-emacs states and that has
probably been forgotten because it never went to the issue tracker.

Please be so kind and file it if you have time.

Michael

Footnotes:

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.vim-emulation/1113