Re: saveplace and friends

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: saveplace and friends
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 15:04:23 +0000

save-place-mode enabling has changed in emacs 25.x

>From the NEWS file:

** The way to turn on and off 'save-place' mode has changed.
It is no longer sufficient to load the saveplace library and set
'save-place' non-nil.  Instead, use the two new minor modes:
'save-place-mode' turns on saving last place in every file, and
'save-place-local-mode' does that only for the file in whose buffer it
is invoked.  The 'save-place' variable is now an obsolete alias for
'save-place-mode', which replaces it, and 'toggle-save-place' is an
obsolete alias for the new 'save-place-local-mode' command.

Here is how I enable it:

      (save-place-mode 1)

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 10:56 AM Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>     > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>     >> I tried out
>     >>
>     >> (require 'saveplace)
>     >> (setq-default save-place t)
>     >>
>     >> But it did not work neither.
>
>     > `saveplace` works for me .... Have you also set the value of the
>     > variable `save-place-file`?
> I have this setting
>
> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)
> (setq save-place-file "~/.emacs.d/saved-places")
>
> But it seems that nothing is saved in .emacs.d
>
> Looks like a bug to me.
>
>     > Alexis.
>

> --

Kaushal Modi