Re: A femtolisp based emacs clone

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A femtolisp based emacs clone
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 09:08:52 -0400

> A while ago, Tramp has tried this approach, using the FISH protocol
> (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Files_transferred_over_shell_protocol>).
> Experience was bad wrt performance, so Tramp removed this protocol meanwhile.

I think the problem is round-trips, so the current
file-name-handler-alist operations just don't cut it.

We could either put higher-level ops in there (like `save-buffer'),
which implies replicating the whole `save-buffer' behavior, which is
a lot of work and likely to be not 100% faithful.

Or we could introduce new low-level ops that are asynchronous, and then
rewrite save-buffer to use them.  IOW save-buffer would start with
a bunch of calls like `start-getting-file-attributes' which could
immediately be passed on to the remote side, and later on checks the
return value of those calls as and when needed.

        Stefan