Can an overlay have a non-overriding face?

From: Alex
Subject: Can an overlay have a non-overriding face?
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:21:22 -0600

Suppose there are two overlays A and B. Is it possible for overlay A to
have a higher priority than B yet for the face (or any arbitrary
property) property to not override B's?

If not, would that be a reasonable feature request? Currently I made a
workaround where I copy overlay A, lower its priority, and then put the
face on that overlay.

It would be nice if that wasn't necessary.