m-x list-packages function limited

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: m-x list-packages function limited
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:17:50 -0500 (EST)

It cannot search 3rd party archives. With elpa first in archive-list searching by filter for a package unique say to melpa or marmalade simply returns message package isn't here even if the package is in one of the archives. I tried this with dismal but was able to install dismal using m-x install-package <ret> dismal. Actually I think it got dismal from elpa but dismal although it builds does not run since it's missing dismal-mode-defaults (either not in the archive or not extracted for the build). All in all, this has been informative for me at least if nothing else. I moved marmalade to last position in my archives-list so m-x package-refresh wouldn't trip over it and its access error on the way to melpa too.