Re: viewing docx files

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: viewing docx files
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:02:39 -0500 (EST)

antiword can't handle .docx files last time I tried nor can catdoc.

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 11:14:57
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 17:07:57 +0100
From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>

There is a DocView mode (cf. https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DocViewMode),
but it passes through PostScript (via GhostScript), in your case through
unoconv. The postscript seems to include the (plain) text, since it
supports text searching.

All in all, your approach with pandoc might prove superior for your
use case. Perhaps a little automation. There is an Emacs pandoc-mode,
but alas, I haven't any experience with that.

There's also antiword, and perhaps someone wrote a mode to run that
automatically on Word documents.