Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: additional functionality for html-helper-mode
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 23:05:45 +0200

Yuri Khan wrote:

> In the previous life, in a different editor,
> I had a very efficient setup based halfway on
> keys, halfway on typing. I would hold down
> Alt and type a unique prefix of an HTML tag,
> and it would wrap the selection in a matched
> pair. Never got to port it to Emacs though;
> these days I prefer generating HTML from
> Markdown. Or, when I need the full power of
> HTML, I use Yasnippet (which also has a way
> to wrap around the selection).

I used to think Emacs and Unix is the superior
way do things with a computer. I even felt
sorry for the poor bastards doing eclipsed Java
on Windows. But because I never thought me to
be a superior programmer to them, just a person
with much better taste in technology,
I actually thought it was a mystery why they
never realized what awesome stuff there is and
moved on!

Now I don't think in terms of what is superior
but rather in terms of computer personalities.
Styles make fights! And I have to admit that
I don't know any other personalities than the
Emacs/Unix one. So I can't say which is better
than the other.

What I've seen, for my style, I've not seen
anything remotely as good tho. For other
people's style, I now know that what I see,
some moron clicking on icons, scrolling tons of
tiny letters and skimming thru menus and
autocompletion lists, and this looks completely
bizarre, but is it actually a computer
personality behind all this jungle that makes
sense, possibly as much as mine?

I guess I'll never know for sure :)

--
underground experts united