Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 01:52:50 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> You seem to think that Emacs is just a programmer's
> tool. This is wrong.

Being a programmer and being a serious Emacs user to
the point as to read the manual isn't a big difference
to me. It is both about being active with the best and
most advanced tools. Both personalities, if indeed
distinct, are vastly benefited from acquiring English.
As is actually evident from this very discussion!

> I suspect that if you ask Stallman, he would say
> that Emacs should be amenable to anyone who works
> with computers for any text-editing task.

Well, the next time Stallman has anything to say maybe
he can post a message of his own?

> The fact that Emacs has a wide acceptance as
> a programmer's tool but it is a not so popular text
> editor for other purposes is a consequence of a lack
> of development resources

At least that's one of many reasons.

> which also explains why there are no translations of
> the manual.

Indeed, if we could have professional tech translators
do it, do it well and complete, and keep it updated,
I would agree it would be good. I mean, any sufficiently
cool Spaniard could still pick up the English edition.
But there would be an option on an equal basis.

However, that isn't the case. As it is now, when
translations being at the enthusiast, spare-time
level, it is better to focus such desires on FAQs,
introductory text, and culture books, as this will
groom in people and act as a front.

When they are ready to take their game to the next
level, we'll have the reference and manual material
right at their fingertips.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573