Re: How to translate LaTeX into UTF-8 in Elisp?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: How to translate LaTeX into UTF-8 in Elisp?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 11:16:12 +0200

On 2017-07-03, at 07:43, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I'm revisiting this old thread now. Since I got no
>> satisfying answers back then, here is my plan for
>> solution. I'm going first to map \', \` etc.
>> onto /names/ (this is a rather short list!),
>> construct a Unicode name of the character I want and
>> then use =ucs-names=.
>>
>> For instance, \' maps to "ACUTE", then \'a will map
>> to "LATIN SMALL LETTER A ACUTE" and this can be fed
>> into =char-from-name=.
>>
>> It is a horrible hack
>
> On the contrary. Add another layer of abstraction.
>
> If you setup the names consistently it is even
> a good-looking solution.

I'm not sure whether I follow you here.  Why should *I* setup the names?
They are in ucs-names (as I said), and they are official Unicode names.

It is still a hack, since it relies on the Unicode names being correct.
Have you seen this?

https://codepoints.net/U+FE18?lang=en

Notice the typo in the name.  It's in the standard (somehow it slipped
through;-)), so the typo is there forever (or rather, for as long as
Unicode is going to be around).

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski