Re: Is it only me or is your ding also silent?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it only me or is your ding also silent?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:09:23 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 06:42:52 +0200
>
> as in the subject.  I defined
>
> (defun system-beep ()
>   (call-process "beep"))
>
> which beeps, but M-: (ding) does not produce any sound here.

It does here.

> I have fresh Emacs compiled from sources on fresh Arch GNU/Linux.

Could be some system-level setting, unrelated to Emacs, perhaps?

> Is it because ring-bell-function is nil?

No, ring-bell-function is for when you want to customize how to rin
the bell, then you need to write a function to do that and bind
ring-bell-function to it.  By default, ring-bell-function always was
nil, because Emacs is using its own code to beep.

> In the old days, C-g or M-: (ding) used to beep!

It still does here.