RE: dired-hide-details-mode have no effect suddenly

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dired-hide-details-mode have no effect suddenly
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 11:04:28 -0700 (PDT)

> Here is a problem I don't know how to reproduce. I have this in my
> .emacs:
>
>     (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'dired-hide-details-mode)
>
> and details are hidden by default, the way I like it. Sometimes I need
> to see some details and I use (default I think) the key ( to toggle
> visibility of details.
>
> However, suddenly after some long time of keeping emacs alive, details
> are always shown and I cannot toggle it. I have been trying to detect at
> what moment this happens but I fail to understand what the interference
> is. At this point all I can think of is restarting emacs. Did somebody
> notice a similar problem?

Do you see the same thing if you start Emacs using `emacs -Q'
(no init file)?  If so, it sounds like a bug
(`M-x report-emacs-bug').

Do you perhaps use library `dired-details+.el'? If so, and if
option `dired-details-propagate-flag' has its default value
of `t', and if you happen to use `(` in Dired (to toggle
showing details), then that the resulting state is used from
then on (until you hit `(` again), by default.

IOW, that could explain what you think you see.  If you did
hit `(` then what you get from that (e.g. showing details)
will be what you see in Dired from then on (until you toggle
with `(` again).  If you don't want such propagation then
customize the option value to `nil'.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/dired-details%2b.el