Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: xterm vs gnome-terminal and all-the-icons.el
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 19:54:17 +0100

joakim wrote:

> Basically I'm trying permutations of xterm,
> gnome-terminal, terminal keyboard rebindings,
> mosh, fonts, etc.

When I installed my first Debian I got
gnome-terminal by default, but I soon realized
that xterm is much faster. Or at least that was
the case back then, perhaps it has changed.

I also remember trying rxvt and urxvt for
a short period: "r" as in "reduced", "u" as in
"unicode" - but despite xterm not being
reduced, it wasn't/isn't slower than rxvt what
I could tell, nor does it have any char
limitation for my purposes.

BTW urxvt seems to be in rxvt-unicode. There is
also a reduced urxvt, in rxvt-unicode-lite :)

BTW 2 I once read a FAQ and there was
a question how to start a terminal. The answer
said in a terminal, type the name of the
terminal and hit RET! In essence, an
"interminal" problem...

--
underground experts united