Re: python mode bugs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: python mode bugs
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 17:02:23 -0400

> 3.  At 111 days old, it doesn't seem like the known bug is getting any
> attention.  What is the polite way to indicate it matters?

You can send a new message to that bug-report with a shirt content like
"ping?" or "Is anybody here?  it's been 111 days and I still haven't
heard anything".

Even better, you can add info such as the one you provide below:

> In case you *really* want to help, the offending function appears to be
>
>       python-imenu--build-tree
>
> and the regex
>
>       python-nav-beginning-of-defun-regexp
>
> The difference in the pattern to be matched is:
>
>       def f(a, b): #works
> vs
>       def f(a: int, b: str) -> bool: # fails
>
> FWIW, I don't think the regex need include anything after the leading
> parenthesis.  The following awk script is too simple because it doesn't
> recognize nested functions and class methods, but otherwise does the
> trick:
>
>       awk -F'[\t ()]' '/^def +/ {print $2}'

which might allow even Emacs contributors not familiar with Python to
come up with a fix.

        Stefan