Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 13:46:53 -0800

* Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> [180404 17:30]:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure how one might combine spacemacs
> > and emacs resources under one directory.
> > The spacemacs install directions call for
> > installing spacemacs directly into .emacs.d
> > and I'm presuming that will totally clobber
> > my existing config.
>
> OK, sorry, now I understand the problem!
> If this is what you mean by "clutter" it is
> very poor engineering indeed! Unbelievable -
> you should mail the developers and tell them!
>
> *Yes* you should definitely change it!
>
> I'd do it like this: Do a grep for any
> reference to .emacs.d in the spacemacs source
> and instalation scripts, Makefiles etc. If it
> is a variable somewhere, change it, to
> .spacemacs.d - and if it isn't, change
> every occurence.

  I could do that and see what happens, probably will.
  However, the preferred installation sidesteps that process.

  I installed spacemacs with the following preferred command:

  git clone https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs ~/.emacs.d

  git will not overwrite .emacs.d, so I had to rename it (was
  already backed up elsewhere).

  Spacemacs seems to be put together quite professionally.

  I believe that I could merge the the new .emacs.d and my current
  one without anything getting clobbered except for init.el. So the
  option of a custom init file is doable.

  It is probably best to just investigate further and submit
  questions to the spacemacs IRC before I do any merging. I couple
  of simple scripts should handle that.

  I'm an eternal noob on emacs and even more rusty since I retired
  my coding business *but*, I think that spacemacs could have put
  this together with transitions from older, established emacsen in
  mind.

  Their installation instructions seem to procede from only one
  scenario:

  Newbie doesn't have emacs, noobie installs emacs and spacemacs on
  top of that fresh install and it's good to go. Not so easy for
  someone like me who has a collection of legacy resources.

  Thanks for the help, Emanuel. If you like, in a few days, I can
  post an update, this time with spacemacs in the subject.

  cheers

--
Tim Johnson