Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 01:24:39 +0300

You're missing the point. Ivy is not hard-coded in any way. It's just that its default settings are set up for vanilla Emacs keybindings. E. g. previous-candidate in Ivy is "C-p". But if we're using Evil we want "k" to be that key(while respecting the mode). With ergoemacs-mode we would expect "M-i". I don't think that we should expect any package developer to provide defaults for all available keyboard layout packages.

To continue the whole "things that would help, but are unlikely to be implemented" thing, I think Emacs would have benefited from ability to remap keybindings in a similar fashion to commands. So in the previous example I could do something like (remap "C-p" "M-i") and then in Ivy (define-key keymap "C-p" 'previous) would automatically do (define-key keymap "M-i" 'previous) instead. This would have made layout customization much more pleasant.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev