[TRAMP] Setting remote prompt

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: [TRAMP] Setting remote prompt
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:58:54 +0200

Hi,

When logged in on a remote machine I have the following prompt:

  [09:15:09] loris@pi (1000) ~
  $ echo $PS1
  \[\033]2;\u@\h\a\]\[\e[35m\][\t] \[\e[31m\]\u@\h \[\e[36m\](\!)
\[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[34m\]\[\033[0m\]\n$

When I access a file on the remote machine via TRAMP and then do 'M-x
shell', I get:

  ^[]2;loris@pi^G[09:42:03] loris@pi (30) ~
  $ echo $PS1
  \[\033]2;\u@\h\a\]\[\e[35m\][\t] \[\e[31m\]\u@\h \[\e[36m\](\!)
\[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[34m\]\[\033[0m\]\n$

where ^[ and ^G are the non-printable characters  and  respectively.

I see that here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Remote-shell-setup

the way to reset the prompt via ~/.emacs_SHELLNAME is described.

However, I was wondering if there is just a simple way to prevent TRAMP
from adding a default prompt to the front of the existing prompt (if,
indeed, that is what is happening).

Does anyone one have any advice?

Cheers,

Loris