Re: interference between package and exec-path values ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: interference between package and exec-path values ?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 09:35:57 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 10:55:23 +0900
>
> > Of course!  You are using 'append' incorrectly.  Evaluate
> >
> >  (append "/usr/local/bin/" exec-path)
> >
> > and you will see what kind of result this produces.
>
> Yes but :)
>
> I had this expression in my .emacs.el file for a while now and it never
> interfered with package.

I'm sorry, I don't believe you ;-)  Either that expression was not
evaluated at all, or some other factor(s) were at work that bypassed
the error.

> Also, when I start with -q and evaluated the expressions one by one,
> evaluating that erroneous expression did *not* trigger the error, it's only
> when I started emacs without -q that the error was triggered.

What do you mean by "does not trigger the error"?  The evaluation
itself will never trigger any errors, as it is valid Lisp.  It's only
when you start using the resulting value of exec-path that the
problems pop up.  Perhaps previously, the resulting exec-path was
never used in your sessions.  But it's a mistake nonetheless.