Re: Fixing news-mail gateway [Was: Re: Newsgroups mailing-list gateway b

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 05:11:17 +0200

On 2018-10-19 at 09:47, Nuno Silva wrote:
> I might be wrong, but it looks like the In-reply-to header *is* sent,
> but the message-ids are being rewritten somewhere, so one message can
> end up with two different message-ids, and threading by In-reply-to
> will not work as expected. The "Message not available" entries in the
> web archive are probably those message-ids.

Yes, as explained before: mailman, or the software directly interfacing
with it, translate all message-ids for the newsgroup side.  All headers
are preserved but this one, afaik (Emanual did show me his headers a
couple days ago).

> Alexandre, did you send the post I am replying to through USENET as
> well?

No, still don’t use it, plan to.

> It has the following In-Reply-To:

>       "Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:44:57 -0600")

Yes it has.  However *your* message is shown as a direct answer to a
fake message my Gnus nowadays create, as a child to this same Bob
Proulx’s message, because the last known message-id of your References
is his, mine is rewritten as containing “mailman” stuff as I said before.

PS: I’m pushing forward the reply-to-all convention so to send messages
to non-existing addresses now x) so to convey the semantics of this
message being adressed to you while being public on that mailing-list
newsgroup. nobody will be bothered by extra mail here anyway.