Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?

From: Shyam Nath
Subject: Re: Is this a bug, the esoteric Elisp way?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 05:43:32 +1000

🖖 Hello Noam,

Thanks, I've changed it in my init.el file, but the way I was doing it before
also worked; `C-h f electric-indent-mode` in 26.1 doesn't include any of that
for me.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER \V/,
AGENT S.
🕴
Migrating Infestive Bugs !!

---- On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 05:10:52 +1000 Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com>
wrote ----

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 14:42, Shyam Nath <mailto:shyam@shyam.id.au> wrote:

> So `(setq electric-indent-mode nil)` disables it, and I thought it also
> disables all tabbing; this seems disabled in Elisp, but not plain text files,
> and http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_tabs_space_indentation_setup.html
> patches it. The documentation for electric-indent-mode says "If called from
> Lisp, enable the mode if ARG is omitted or nil.", but nil disables it;
> /implementation|typographical/ bug.

The documentation you refer to is about the function, i.e.,
`(electric-indent-mode)` or `(electric-indent-mode nil)` will enable
the mode. Use `(electric-indent-mode -1)` to disable it.

Using setq on the variable won't do the right thing, as mentioned in
its documentation:

Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
either customize it (see the info node ‘Easy Customization’)
or call the function ‘electric-indent-mode’.