Are the language servers only to assist flymake and company?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Are the language servers only to assist flymake and company?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 14:17:41 +0530

I am working on some rust code. And to configure my Emacs, I had to
setup four things,

rust-mode - indent, syntax highlighting, tabs etc.
flymake - language errors/warnings
company - completion at point (capf)
eglot - language-server client (or lsp-mode)

1. Are the language-servers only to support <prog>-mode, flymake and
company packages?

2. Is there no use of eglot or lsp-mode without the other three?

Regards,
--
Pankaj Jangid