Re: How to save a file with embedded unicode maths symbols

From: Pieter van Oostrum
Subject: Re: How to save a file with embedded unicode maths symbols
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 14:14:02 +0100

Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

> If I go to this page:
> https://stackify.com/solid-design-liskov-substitution-principle/
>
> There is a definition of the principle Let Φ(x) ... and I can paste that
> into emacs on Windows and I see the greek symbol displayed just fine.
>
> But When I go to save the file it prompts for a coding system (1st entry
> in list being chinese-iso-8bit). What coding system would I choose to be
> able to save the symbol to disk. My operating system is 64 bit Windows
> 7.

You can save in any encoding that is able to encode all the characters in the
file. But generally the best (most useful, universal) encoding is utf-8.

However it depends on what you want to do afterwards with the file. The
programs that you use to process the file must be able to understand that
encoding. Nowadays most software understands utf-8.
--
Pieter van Oostrum
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/