Re: turning on SGML mode

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: turning on SGML mode
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 19:26:16 -0500

I think the mode is buffer specific and if the file you are editing has a
suffix that matches a well known suffix, that will trigger the major mode for
that buffer.

Your command doesn’t specify a file to edit but I doubt if you are staying
within the *scratch* buffer.

I think, one option is to replace the setq-default with just (sgml-mode) but,
again, that will be just for the buffer that happens to be the current buffer
when that gets executed.  I think you could also add an -f argument to your
command line such as -f '(sgml-mode)'

All this to ask / say: what is an example file name of what you are editing or
… do you actually just say within the *scratch* buffer?