Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [emacs-w3m:13607] Re: Browser Fingerprinting
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 03:46:22 +0200

Vladimir Sedach wrote:

>> A while back I tried setting w3m-user-agent to
>> a recent Firefox user-agent string. Some websites
>> (YouTube is one example I recall) started returning
>> different pages that assumed JavaScript and AJAX and
>> were no longer usable in emacs-w3m.
>
> I should have checked my configuration before posting
> the above. emacs-w3m has an option to send different
> user agent strings to specified domains. Example from
> my current configuration:
>
> (setq w3m-user-agent
>       "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0"
>       w3m-user-agent-site-specific-alist
>       '(("youtube.com" . "Emacs-w3m/1.4.620 w3m/0.5.3")))

You can still, with w3m-user-agent nil even for YouTube,
use Emacs-w3m to get URLs and then use mpv(1) to
play them.

It is better for other reasons as well as mpv is
configurable and generally just more powerful than the
web UI.

Here is a guy who does videos on fixed gear bicycles.
Note that the videos will just keep playing, so it is
also less fiddly as you don't have to get a new videos
all the time, and when you had enough, just hit SPC to
pause (or Q to quit, with the option
save-position-on-quit [1]).

  bike () {
      mpv 'https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrkVFY8V-H_JEH-Nv7ylN5g'
  }

And here is live news from Australian TV, ABC:

  abc () {
      mpv 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRUC73L-MA'
  }

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/mpv/mpv.conf