Re: Formatting labels used for URL buttons in Gnus articles

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Formatting labels used for URL buttons in Gnus articles
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 07:38:21 +0200

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> A lot of email that I get has very long URLs in the text version. I
> use `gnus-treat-buttonize' to convert those to clickable buttons. The
> labels are usually very long and I would like to use something like
> `gnus-shorten-url' to have a smaller string displayed as the label of
> the button. Any pointers to how I can achieve this would be great.

There doesn't seem to be any pre-defined functionality for this in
Gnus -- gnus-button-alist just specifies regexps to react to and what
functions to call when you hit them, and not any way to specify a
transform of the text.

If you want to do something about that, then gnus-article-add-buttons in
gnus-art.el is the function to look at.