Re: set-default-font

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: set-default-font
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 10:13:13 -0700

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> Magically this gave me help for the function "setup-default-fontset".  I
> suppose I'm to assume that "set-default-font" has been eliminated,
> substituted by "setup-default-fontset".  True??

Yes, this has been obsoleted since Emacs 22.1 and has been removed.
See etc/NEWS for more details (`C-h N').

> Secondly, to fix my ~/.emacs can I just edit "set-default-font" and
> change it to
> "setup-default-fontset"?

I use this:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "Ubuntu Mono-14"))

> Thirdly, I long ago upgraded from any "Latin" character sets to UTF-8
> and, to me, that means I shouldn't be specifying any "*iso8859*" fonts.
> What command output would show me the available font(set)s I could use
> in place of the 8859 stuff?

AFAIK, I think you should just use something similar to what I have
above, and you should be fine.

I think you can read more in:

(info "(emacs) Frame Parameters")

Best regards,